Former Hokie Joe Saunders started the 2009 season just as he finished the 2008 regular season. By not giving up a run.
Saunders picked up the win on Opening Day for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of Orange County or California Monday by not giving up a run over 6.2 innings. He allowed three hits, walked two and struck out two. Saunders was victorious in his last two outings of 2008 as well. He combined for 13.0 shutout innings on eight hits with three walks and 13 strikeouts in those two starts.
Saunders was an All-Star in 2008 and led the Angels in wins at 17-7. He compiled a 3.41 ERA over 31 starts.
It's good to see Saunders back dominating on the mound. He struggled in his lone ALDS appearance against the Red Sox, but is establishing himself as one of the more consistent pitchers in the AL. When he pitches well, you hardly notice him. He isn't spectacular and doesn't put up huge strikeout numbers.
It was also fun to see a former Hokie get an Opening Day start. Even if it came because John Lackey, Ervin Santana and Kelvim Escobar are all on the DL. Saunders will have to carry the Angels staff early on if they want to win the AL West like most are predicting them to do.
- 1999 fiction that almost became reality. (Blogsburg)
- Brandon Dillard again has to work his way up the depth chart. (Roanoke Times)
- Pritchard Hall goes co-ed. (The North End Zone)
OMG! Tar Heels!
- Well, that was quick. (Carolina March)
- Player of destiny and such and such. (Tar Heel Fan)
- Student's point of view. (Tareye or Buckheel)
- When over privileged white people try to riot. (Yet Another...)
- How many of the Heels will return? (Buzz Blog)
Atlantic Coast Conference
- FSU's offense fared better in Monday's scrimmage. (Tomahawk Nation)
- Justin Tuggle might be BC's QB next season. Good, another QB to lose to Tech in the ACCCG. Oh, and insert your own Jeff Joke here. (BC Interruption)
- The man won't keep BJ Raji down. (Eagle in Atlanta)
- We may have bad news for our friend EKR. (Block-C)
Stuff Only I Care About
- Bill Stewart uses the Twitter. Hilarity ensues. (Dr. Saturday)
- More shenanigans on the Twitter: Homer's Odyssey edition. (Holy Taco, HT: EDSBS)
- What does the future hold for the BBWAA? (WSJ)
- The Red Wings are the Tom 'Iceman' Kazansky of the NHL. (Goose's Roost)
- Another example of quality Tulsa business models. (The Lost Ogle)
- Awesome fight from last night's Kings-Flames game. (Hockey Fights)