This is a make-or-break year for Stiney. He has the talent on offense capable of putting up bigger numbers than the last three seasons. Another sub-par year and Stiney's hot seat may reach its boiling point.
In the interview, Stiney points out that 2009 will be the first time since in three seasons the Hokies don't have a quarterback controversy going into the season. He said he's excited about the way the players are progressing going into spring practice and hopes the offense can become more consistent now that they are more experienced.
He didn't tip his hand when asked about Ryan Williams, only telling Annette that the staff is looking forward to finally seeing him on the field. He also said the staff might have played Williams last year had they known Kenny Lewis was going to get injured.
Also, the Hokies are already preparing for the Crimson Tide:
I'm not going to kid you. We've already taken a look. There's been some breakdowns already. I'm sure on their part, too. Once the game was signed, both schools exchanged film the day after, I think. Most of us understand the significance of this ball game. We certainly understand Alabama and how good they are and what this means for an early game. You want to be as prepared as you possibly can, but again, you're calling at a time of the season where you just come off recruiting, and you're gearing up to start recruiting the next class, and also still going back and still scouting yourself.
That's good to hear. Alabama came into last year's Chick-fil-a Kickoff prepared for everything Clemson was going to do on both sides of the ball. Hopefully the Hokies will be ready for everything the Tide will do.
While he wasn't asked directly about the criticism he faced last season, Stiney did allude to the roller coaster that was the 2008 campaign:
Speaking of the Orange Bowl, you guys win ACC titles like it's nothing ...
BS: Oh this one right here wasn't like it was nothing, (he laughed) this one was a grinder.
I hope Stinespring's ready for another grinder. I know there are a lot of people that refuse to give the guy any credit for anything this team does. Hopefully the offense improves enough to quiet his detractors because that probably means were winning most of our football games.
- Tech Hoops previews the ACC tournament and writes that Jeff Allen needs to have a better game against Miami.
- Beer Control Offense offers his own ACC awards. There's a surprise on the "All Douche Bag" Team.
- VT Fan is done with basketball.
- Kyle Tucker is back with a report on the Hokies off-season weight program. Hey Kyle, be sure to eat at Charlie Gitto's while you're in The Lou next week.
- Joe Ovies is skeptical about ACC realignment. He expects the conference to hold out hope for FSU and Miami playing in the ACCCG every year and keep the status quo.
- NC State fans aren't big fans of the rumored realignment.
- Finally some optimism.