Yes, they're ugly, but that doesn't make them any less spectacular. I'll pay handsomely for one of those things.
Honoring the Original Hokie
O.M. Stull, who came up with the "Old Hokie Cheer" that eventually gave Tech its nickname, will be honored by the Roanoke Valley Hokie Club. A memorial and plaque will be placed at his grave in Lexington, Va., to honor his contribution to Hokie athletics.
Stull won the school-wide contest to come up with a new cheer (and its $5 first prize) in 1896. He said the word Hokie was just something he made up to draw attention to the cheer.
Hokie Face Baylor in NIT
I'll be having breakfast with the Hokies when they host Baylor at 11 a.m. Saturday at Cassell Coliseum on ESPN. Coach Greenberg is certain the fans will be loud despite the early start time:
We are excited about Saturday's game. It's another national television game and we want to show the country that the "Hokie Nation" is ready to go, 24/7. Regardless of whether it's a 10 a.m. or midnight tip, we are ready to go. Thank you for your support throughout the season and we look forward to seeing you in the Cassell on Saturday morning.
The key for the Hokies will be stopping Baylor point guard Curtis Jerrells. After watching Duquesne's Aaron Jackson drive to the hoop at will against Tech's awful perimeter defense, I worry the same will happen when Jerrells takes on the Hokies.
Jerrells won't put up the same 46 points Jackson had because he has a better supporting cast. If the Hokies can't contain Jerrells, he'll be able to drive, dish and dominate Saturday morning.
The Hokies will need a big game from Jeff Allen to win this one. He can make a difference inside against a Baylor team that isn't great on the boards.
- KT is in St. Louis covering the NCAA Wrasslin' Championship.
- Coach Beamer will compete in a celebrity NASCAR race Saturday in Bristol, Tenn.
- Tech Hoops thinks the Baylor game will come down to three-point shooting.
- Blogsburg thinks Baylor poses problems for us and is glad the game starts at 10 a.m. CDT.
- BCO gives it up to Aaron Jackson.
- TV Theme Madness continues at The North End Zone. Vote Fraggle.
Atlantic Coast Conference
- Tar Heel Fan is in G'boro cheering on the Heels.
- All Canes thinks Kirby Hocutt should keep his pimp hand strong when dealing with the Irish.
- BC faces BU in a critical hockey showdown this weekend.
- Joe Ovies and Adam Gold interview public enemy No. 1 in Chapel Hill, Jeff Goodman.
- Why didn't you tell me Barnhart was back in the blogging business?!?
- Doug thinks brackets can solve anything.
- Buffalo is actually talking about firing Lindy Ruff. I never thought this would happen.
- Ow-ah pitchahs cowntinue to dawminahte in Fahrt Meyahs.