Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Stuff to Read While Drinking and Filling Out Brackets
It's St. Patrick's, so I'm doing what I do best all day today. It's not even Noon and I'm on my third Guinness. I'm not an alcoholic, I'm just honoring my heritage.
I'm also filling out what will likely be the worst bracket in the history of filling it out brackets. Seriously, this thing is terrible. I'll reveal my picks tomorrow so you can point and laugh at them.
Everyone has advice on the NCAA Tournament and how to pick it. Well, I can only offer two pieces of advice.
First, the serious part: Fill it out backwards. Look at each regional, select the team you feel is strongest or has the best match-ups to get them to the Final Four and put them in Detroit. Then, fill out the rest of the regional. If you start from the beginning, you're bound to put the strongest team in a tough match-up in the Sweet 16 and then go against your better judgment and pick against them. Well, more often than not, that Sweet 16 match-up doesn't happen and you're stuck when you're original team ends up in the Final Four.
Finally, the fun part: Pick one huge underdog and have them winning in the first round. This way, if you're like me and your team isn't in the field, you at least have one rooting interest on Thursday or Friday. It's an added bonus if the underdog you picked is playing a team you hate.
- TSL has the Labatt Hokie Hotline notes. Greenberg on the officiating: "It is what it is."
- Tech Hoops went to the ACC tournament and naturally visited The Varsity. "What'll ya have!?"
- Niemo also previews the Duquesne game.
- Blogsburg has its unique take on the Dukes. With cheerleader photo!
- A-Line wonders aloud why Tech fans are complaining about the officiating Friday's hoops game after the officiating in September's football game. Good point. [stereotypical Hokie fan] I'll take the football win over a basketball win any day. [/stereotypical Hokie fan].
- Joe Ovies and Adam Gold interview Tom O'Brien about Irish Christmas.
- Blogger So Dear has advice on filling out your bracket. Don't look at the RPI, folks.
- Jeff of BCI took time out from being a neutered married pussy to attend the ACC tournament.
- TrueCubbie of Tomahawk Nation takes a preliminary look at The Tournament.
- Probably the best read of the week (even if it's from a dirty 'hoo) comes from From Old Virginia with his take on Dave Leitao's ouster. Good stuff. You know, for a 'hoo.
- Doug dissects Dabo.
- Tulsa is finally better than OKC at something. Too bad it's making meth.
- Remember when Winfield of The Legacy x4 and I traded texts during the GT-Miami game last November? This is what it would have looked like if we were women. Notice the complete lack of swear words. And neither of them is drunk.
- Woo hoo!
- Double woo hoo!