I thought that 24 hours after the Hokies lost the Tar Heels 79-76 I'd be more rational. I am not. I still put this one squarely on shoddy ACC officiating.
While I'm not convinced the Hokies would have won had a foul been called on North Carolina in the final seconds of yesterday's game, I am convinced it was a foul and the call made on the floor was wrong.
That hasn't changed. Neither has my new-found hatred of North Carolina and Tyler Hansbrough. I used to like North Carolina and used to root for it more often than not when it wasn't playing Virginia Tech. No longer. I already don't watch Duke-Carolina games because it's the most overrated rivalry in sports, but now I don't even have a rooting interest.
I despise Hansbrough as well. With the way he's treated by officials and the calls he gets, he is an honorary Duke Blue Devil in my eyes. His game is about initiating contact and getting calls. I can no longer tolerate the sight of him.
The Hokies were not a good basketball team this year. They were a team that consistently played to the level of their competition and in reality were never a threat to make the NCAA Tournament. They had one big win against Wake Forest doesn't look nearly as impressive now as when it happened. We were a mediocre team at best and the definition of an NIT team. Therefore, that's where we're headed.
- Joe Ovies has video of the foul.
- Orson also sees the Hansbrough-Tebow comparison.
- Giglio notes a few more questionable calls.
- ACCSJ thinks we're still on the bubble?
- Tech Hoops was impressed by ADV's play.
- BCO has calmed down a little [beer pun] and is no long hopping mad [/beer pun].
- But The North End Zone will not calm down, thank you very much.
- Tar Heel Fan is happy to survive and advance.
- Yes, Carolina March, Hansbrough did cost us the game. But he committed a foul to do it.
- TarEye or BuckHeel thinks it was the right call, but was made late.