Thursday, October 2, 2008

Meet the Hilltoppers

The Hokies face Western Kentucky University for the first time in football Saturday. It will be homecoming for the Hokies and we'll get a look at the new home uniforms with the orange sleeves for the first time. Judging by my replica, I think they look pretty good. We'll see how the real things look Saturday.

Here's a look at WKU:


WKU Hilltoppers
Location: Bowling Green, Ky.
Conference: Sun Belt
2007 Record: 7-5 (1-5 vs. I-A)
2008 Record: 2-3 (0-3 vs. I-A)
Head Coach: David Elson (6th season)
Stadium: Houchens Industries-LT Smith Stadium (23,000)

Why the Hilltoppers?

The area of Bowling Green where WKU is located is known as "The Hill".

Past

- Won the I-AA championship in 2002.
- Were coached by Jack Harbaugh from 1989-2002. Jack is the father of former Bears QB and current Stanford HC Jim Harbaugh and current Baltimore Ravens HC John Harbaugh.
- Former players include Rod Smart, better known as "He Hate Me" from the XFL.

Present

- I-A transitional team.
- Count toward the 120 I-A football teams, but are ineligible to win the Sun Belt or play in a bowl until 2009.
- Had to move up to I-A football because they were not in compliance with Title IX. They actually had too few scholarships for men.
- After going 1-5 vs. I-A opponents in 2006, the Hilltoppers face 10 I-A opponents this season.

Western Kentucky on YouTube

It ain't exactly Enter Sandman:


Highlights from the Kentucky game:

No comments: