Friday, January 2, 2009

Winning feels better than losing

I am one hungover Hokies on this cool South Florida evening. But now that I have Internet access again, I can share my thoughts on last night's win over Cincinnati.

[ahem]

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!1!

By exercising their Orange Bowl demons, Tech sets itself up for a summer of optimism. Going into this year, the Hokies were coming off a tough bowl loss, faced a quarterback controversy and had to replace every skill position player other than QB.

Now, Tech and its fans can look forward to next season with little trepidation. The defense will take a hit with the loss of Macho Harris, but should be able to reload. The offense has just about everyone coming back. The coaching staff, for better or worse, is in tact. Next year's opener against Alabama will be the most anticipated VT game since the USC game in 2004.

I don't consider the Hokies to be a national championship contender like Orion Martin does. Look what happened to Clemson this year. I think the Tigers believed their own hype even though they had no offensive line and shortcomings on defense. The Hokies will be the favorite to win the ACC next season, so let's start with winning the league as our goal for 2009 and work from there.

The 2008 season was certainly a helluva ride and ended with one of the most satisfying wins I've attended. Now if only I could hibernate until August.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, hibernation might be cool, but wake me up if tech gets in the ncaa basketball tournament and again for the spring game. Ahh crap the weather would be warm by then and I might as well stay awake. lol