The Oklahoman ran a similar feature Sunday ranking all the games involving Big 12 teams. I thought it was a good idea. But then I tried to rank every ACC game, but then decided to limit it to a Top 25. Here they are, with pithy comments.
1. Alabama vs. Clemson (Atl. - Aug. 30)
- We find out pretty quick how good Clemson is.
2. Virginia Tech at Nebraska (Sept. 27)
- Finally, we get a chance at revenge for the 1996 Orange Bowl! BWAHAHA!
3. Clemson at Wake Forest (Oct. 9)
- The CU-WF-FSU round robin will be fun to watch. This Thursday-nighter is the best of the bunch.
4. Virginia Tech at Florida State (Oct. 25)
- First trip to Tally since 1990 for Tech.
5. Notre Dame at North Carolina (Oct. 11)
- Two teams that are supposed to be among the most improved in 2008. A win here would be huge for the ACC.
6. Clemson at Florida State (Nov. 8)
- Why hasn't anyone mentioned that Clemson's three toughest games are away from Death Valley?
7. Miami at Florida (Sept. 6)
- Could get ugly in a hurry. Or could the 'Canes call upon the ghost of Brock Berlin to pull off the upset?
8. Wake Forest at Florida State (Sept. 20)
- Yup, the Deacs have won two in a row against FSU.
9. Southern California at Virginia (Aug. 30)
- I'll be taking USC and the points.
10. Miami at Texas A&M (Sept. 20)
- Another trip to Big 12 country for the ACC.
11. North Carolina at Rutgers (Sept. 11)
- No Ray Rice for Rutgers. Can UNC return the favor after Rutgers won in Chapel Hill?
12. Virginia Tech at North Carolina (Sept. 20)
- The VT-UM-UNC round robin will likely decide the Coastal. Tar Heels luck out and catch the Hokies early.
13. California at Maryland (Sept. 13)
- Another Pac 10 at ACC match up. Like the first one, likely won't be close. If Maryland had a quarterback, they would be scary.
14. Virginia Tech at Miami (Nov. 13)
- Hard to believe it won't be in the Orange Bowl.
15. Wake Forest at Miami (Oct. 25)
- Wake's last trip to Miami was 2004 when the Deacs lost, 52-7.
16. South Carolina at Clemson (Nov. 29)
- I think the Gamecocks will be the spoiler of the SEC. Could they also spoil Clemson's season?
17. North Carolina at Miami (Sept. 27)
- Miami's biggest inter-division games are at home.
18. Connecticut at North Carolina (Oct. 4)
- Another Big East contest for the Heels.
19. Mississippi at Wake Forest (Sept. 6)
- Should be a great Week 2 match-up.
20. Mississippi State at Georgia Tech (Sept. 20)
- We'll know by Week 4 how well GT's offense works. It gets a big test against the SEC.
21. Colorado vs. Florida State (Jax. - Sept. 27)
- Both teams are supposed to be vastly improved from last year.
22. Virginia Tech vs. East Carolina (Char. - Aug. 30)
- Upset alert?
23. South Florida at NC State (Sept. 27)
- USF is supposed to be a contender in the Big East.
24. NC State at South Carolina (Aug. 28)
- First game of the season.
25. Boston College at NC State (Oct. 4)
- TOB faces his old team a year after losing big to them.
By the Numbers
Conf Games: 9
OOC Games: 16