Hokies finally get a bye week after phoning it in against WKU. BC and GT looked outstanding. WTF, Maryland?:
1. Virginia Tech
2. Georgia Tech
3. Boston College
4. North Carolina
5. Wake Forest
6. Florida State
12. NC State
- After Week 4, Maryland was No. 11 and after Week 5 it was No. 4. Hopefully Bad Maryland shows up to Blacksburg on Nov. 6.
- Miami moves up after losing. Why? Duke and Maryland, that's why. The Canes jumped the Devils and Terps, who laid colossal eggs Saturday.
- UVa saves Groh's job (for now) and moves out of the cellar.
- NC State didn't play as well as its score against BC showed. However, the Pack is improving each week. They're going to beat someone in the ACC they aren't supposed to beat eventually.
- With VT, BC and FSU off next week, the CU-WF winner could make a big jump.
This Week's ACC Games
Clemson at Wake Forest
East Carolina at Virginia, Noon on Raycom
Gardner-Webb at GT, 3:30 p.m.
Notre Dame at UNC, 3:30 p.m. on ABC/ESPN
UCF at Miami, 3:45 p.m. on ESPNU
The only conference game is on Thursday and its the game of the year so far in the ACC. The winner will likely win the Atlantic (sorry, BC). The ECU-UVa game doesn't looks completely different than it did three weeks ago. UNC is playing lights out and gets the chance of a lifetime against college football's most storied program. With no conference games on Saturday, it looks like as good a week as any to go down to Dallas for OU-Texas.