Monday, December 22, 2008

Miami Checklist


Thanks to friends, friends of friends and random acquaintances I will be spending nine days in glorious South Florida for the Orange Bowl and BCSCG. I've been to Miami a couple of times and seen Cocaine Cowboys thrice, so I have a decent idea of what to expect from nine days in the land that taste forgot.

As with every other city I've been to multiple times, I developed a checklist of things that have to get done before I leave. It's like eating beignets at Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans, getting a burger at The Varisty in Atlanta ("What'll ya have?!") or getting pants-shittingly drunk at Top of the Stairs in Blacksburg. There are some things you just have to do when you go to a certain city on a football road trip.

Miami is no different. However, because Miami is like no city I've ever been to in the U.S. and Miami Beach feels more like the Mediterranean than South Florida, its checklists is vastly different than just "get hammered at (name of bar)". No, Miami is a state of mind as much as it is a city. For more, read Swindle's piece on his experiences with the city from earlier this season.

There will be football and plenty more during my nine days in Miami. Here's what's on tap so far. Yes, I know most of these are touristy bullshit. I'm from Oklahoma. Miami might as well be Mars. Don't worry, there will be plenty of photos posted on the blog from both games. In the words of Morris from Slap Shot, here's to all the gorgeous snatch in F-L-A.

Miami Checklist
- Joe's Stone Crab
- Margaritaville in Key West
- Go to a bar with a 24-hour liquor license
- Find a cigar that is from that one island we're not supposed to be able to get cigars from
- Drive down A-1-A even though traffic is always unrelenting

If you can think of anything else I should do, please chime in in the comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tip my hat to anyone making a day trip out of Key West. But Margaritaville is a bust... Go to Sloppy Joe's and every other bar on Duval Street.